7.12.2008

Grocery Running

Odometer: 36 miles

Last Friday was my first trip to the grocery store on the Met (now and forever named “Pete Lee” for the sound of his little horn). It was great! Another usually routine chore made exciting on the scooter. I hit the store with a few specific things in mind, ingredients for zucchini bread and homemade salsa. The 3-mile ride to the store was pleasant, and I hit a top speed of 41 mph on the long flat straightaway.

I prepared for my trip by bringing a few reusable bags, thinking that I would be able to fit some stuff in the seat and have to use the handy bag hook for another bag. To my surprise, everything fit tidily into the seat – even a dozen eggs! The shopping list included: a 24-oz bottle of oil, a dozen eggs, a bag of Tostitos chips, a box of baking soda, two limes, a bunch of cilantro, and a muffin (for breakfast of course). Even with all those groceries, I still had room for the bike lock, owner’s manual, and sunglasses case. Later in the weekend, I also learned that the seat can also hold two 1-liter bottles of margarita mix or lunch for two from Chipotle.
















Oh, and for all you cooks out there: the zucchini bread turned out slightly like cement (wouldn’t recommend Paula Deen’s recipe from foodnetwork.com unless you like soaking your pans for hours and hours), but the salsa was excellent.


2 comments:

Jenny V said...

I think it's time to test the important stuff:

- Can it hold a six pack of beer? McDonald's lunch with drinks? Can you lash a pizza to the back?

- If the six pack doesn't fit, does a five pack fit (and would the "lost beer" impair the scootee's abilities?)?

- Would the pups enjoy a run along side the scooter? If it worked, would you call it a traditional walk or a "walk and scoot?"

- What is the actual savings as compared to running the gas-hogging Wrangler around town? Possibly a nice statistical comparission of gas usage versus mileage using a comparission of common destinations?

Anonymous said...

Hey there..
My name is Peter, I live in Columbia (off Cradlerock, which is off BrokenLand) and I am probably getting a Metro in September. I've been thinking about it constantly, anyhow.

So.. wanted to say hi!