7.27.2009

the next phase

tomorrow, tomorrow is the day that I pick up my new scoot at Motostrada. It’s a Vespa GTS 250, just like this one. I could have gone with new, but this one is a 2008 with just 494 miles on it – apparently, the original owner decided that scooting just wasn’t for him. Too bad, but his loss is my gain! Saved over $1500 on the thing, and it’s all tricked out with a trunk and a windshield. All I need to do is get on it and go!

Since I am moving up from a 50 cc scoot, I am investigating ways to get from Timonium to Columbia without having to ride on the highway. This new scoot can go practically anywhere, but my riding skills aren’t quite ready for the fast lane yet. Any recommendations?

1 comment:

Steve said...

If you're comfortable on Rte. 40, here's how you get to MotoStrada. (By far the worst thing about my scooter is having to go all the way up there.) Take 40 East all the way into the city (once you get into the city, it doglegs around to the right and becomes "Mulberry" or something like that -- and there is a 50mph faster part of 40 in the city, but it's not too bad). Then, make a left onto Charles St. Stay on Charles all the way through the city and out the other side. Right after you cross the beltway, go 1/4 away around a small traffic circle onto Bellona Ave (which you're on probably less than a mile). Then make a left onto York Rd. and you're home free. You can scoot home the same way, except that since Charles St. is only one way north through the city, you can only take it a little ways and have to take St. Paul St. when the two split (near Hopkins). Also, when you're coming home, 40 E in the city is called "Franklin" not "Mulberry" and the right turn onto Franklin is in the middle of a one block area where St. Paul splits in two and makes its own weird circle... stay to the right. Even better, let me know if you're interested and I'll ride up there with you. I also have the directions written out and in a cool little clear map pocket that you can strap to your arm when you're riding so you can see them. Definitely worth getting, if not a little uncomfortable. I'll show you next time we're together.