8.03.2009

First Report on the New Scoot

odometer: 591 miles

I admit it. I don’t miss Pete Lee even one bit.

It’s been nearly a week since I’ve had the Vespa GTS 250 and I’ve already put nearly 100 miles on it – 20 percent of the mileage that I put on the 50 cc scooter in an entire year of ownership. I mean, there’s not anywhere that I can’t go on this thing! As of the first fill-up, my gas mileage is 62.8 MPG. Try finding that in a car!

Since we’re both new riders and it was a long, unfamiliar ride in the waning daylight, Jen and I tag-teamed the 39-mile ride home from Motostrada. The Vespa handles like a breeze. It’s zippy, comfortable, and the controls are easily within reach. Other than the fact that the bike is much heavier (350 lbs. versus the 175 lb. Honda Metropolitan), there was virtually no learning curve at all.

I’ve enjoyed riding on all sorts of roads I wouldn’t have dared with Pete Lee, including Route 108 and MD-175 (speed limit: 55) through Columbia. The trade up is really to an all-purpose vehicle. If I can get in some riding time on the highway, I may even be ready to take it to work this week.

The Vespa doesn’t have a name yet, but she feels like a girl to me. I guess I have to spent a little more time with her to decide what suits her best. Any suggestions?

No comments: