9.11.2008

the joys of tricking out


Odometer: 160 miles

Today’s post is in celebration of one of the most exciting parts of the scooter lifestyle: accessorizing! One of the best things about being a proud scooter owner is that you can add all sorts of little bins and gadgets to make he scooter work just right for you. It’s not quite the same as tricking out a Harley, but, really, who needs all that chrome?

Last week was my birthday, and I received two great gifts for my scooter. The first is the front inner basket (Honda part number 08L51-GET-101A, $40.95 retail price). Unlike a traditional bike basket that installs on the handlebars facing forward, this accessory installs on the inside of the leg shield facing the driver. It has a weight limit of 3.3 pounds (that’s 1.5 kg for the metrically challenged). Being a rather tall gal (5’11”) I was a little worried that the basket would cut into the space for my feet and legs, but it actually tucks right up inside the leg shield and doesn’t interfere at all.

Installation couldn’t have been easier, because I got someone else to do it for me. Seriously, though, installing the basket was a snap: it only took about 30 minutes start-to-finish, and that was after two vodka tonics. The only tools required were a drill and a screwdriver. The installation process was also minimally invasive: only four small silver screws show on the outside of the leg shield (see the photo below).


With the basket, I can now take my scooter on the most important run of all: COFFEE. My second gift (rear carrier, Honda part number 08L42-GET-100, $79.95 retail price) is on back order but it’s supposed to arrive today. Once that’s on, I can also use my trunk – which will make errands much easier. Stay tuned …

7 comments:

Jenny V said...

Geez - that rack looks sweet! Whoever installed that must be a maverick!

Steve said...

Groovy! If you need a cup holder in addition to your basjet (although I don't know if you'd have room for it with the basket there), they have a huge variety at Bass Pro Shops that are made to attach to boats, so they have a variety of attachment interfaces (suction cups, etc.) You may even be able to get a cup holder that would mount to the inside or outside of the basket to give your coffee a little more stability.

Jenny V said...

Ooohh... maybe you could get one of the big 'ole suction cup fish heads....

I'm not so sure I trust you scooter folks out there drinking your Starbucks while scootin' down the road. Don't you think you should have both hands on the handle bars?!

Just Plane Jayne said...

There's plenty of time at the stoplights to grab a cup of joe. Jeez, what kind of crazy scooter driver do ya take me for?

Steve said...

OK there Jenny V... are you implying that a suction cup fish on a scooter is, in some way, tacky. Because if you are, well, then... I think I still have the receipt.

Jenny V said...

Not necessarily tacky – especially if it matches your run rack on the back of the scooter!

Jenny V said...

DOLT! Why am I such a dork (smacks forehead)... I meant to type GUN RACK!

Oy vey....