9.08.2008

WARNING!! Little Patuxent Parkway Unsafe for Scooters!


Mileage: 160

Out for the longest ride I have taken so far (25 miles, most exciting!) I stumbled upon a significant danger yesterday: graded road. For you riders in Columbia, this hazard is located at the end of Little Patuxent Parkway, where the road crosses over Cedar Lane and forms a lovely 3ish mile loop at the end (see photo above).

This spot is normally one of my favorite places for riding, so I was disturbed yesterday to find that the road has been very roughly graded and not suitable for scooting. Even worse, the signage at this particular area is lacking – one sign saying “BUMP” really does not describe the poor conditions. In fact, I nearly bit it right into a huge hole right at the edge of the graded roadway. But thanks to the newly acquired “Quick Swerve” move that I learned in motorcycle safety class (more on that later), I managed to avoid disaster.

Be cautious in this area, scooterists! Above is a quick map showing you where I encountered dangerous terrain. I will keep an eye on it and post an update when the road project is finished.

1 comment:

Steve said...

You ain't lying! That milled road is painful to drive over in a car! I can't imagine scooting over it. I'm still waiting for my scoot to arrive at MotoStrada, so I can join you for a ride (though not on LPP). (Nice Blog, BTW!)