9.17.2008

on the warpath

Odometer: 165

spurned forward by the lack of bike raacks at the Columbia Mall, I submitted this LETTER TO THE EDITOR of the Columbia Flyer. We'll see if it gets published .....

*********
To the Editor:
Here in Columbia, there are many things that we do well. We have cultivated a community of neighborhoods in the midst of suburban sprawl, and maintain a connection to our individual villages though the active patronage of our village centers. For these reasons, running errands in Columbia can often be done on foot or by bike. This is a real plus to living here, and the reason that many of us have chosen to make Columbia our home.


Since my errands often require trips to the other side of town, however, I recently purchased a 50 cc scooter (approximately 2 horsepower). During good weather, I use my scooter almost exclusively around town. In addition to tremendous gas savings – 106 miles per gallon! – I’m proud to be reducing my carbon footprint and cutting down on air pollution. Due to my changing lifestyle, I have become increasingly cognizant of the presence of bike racks at our business locations. I am pleased to report that many of the Columbia Association facilities and village centers offer places for secure bike storage, but disheartened to have found that many of our retailers do not.


One particularly notable void is the utter lack of bike racks at the Columbia Mall. Since no security racks are offered, bikes and scooters can usually be found chained to lampposts, trees, or pillars. The installation of a few bike racks near main entrances would encourage the use of “green” forms of transportation, as well as reducing theft and potential property damage. Although I have made particular mention of the Columbia Mall, several other big-box retailers share the same status. I call upon these businesses to support alternative transportation methods and consider the installation of bike racks on their property.


Encouraging the use of non-automobile transportation serves both the city and its residents by encouraging healthy activity and reducing congestion, air pollution, and energy consumption. We can all do our part, with just a little more help from the retail partners in our community.



2 comments:

Steve said...

Well played! When they publish it, I'll have to submit a response in support. The more people who support the initiative, the more likely it will be to come to fruition. In the meantime, relax with a nice ride down 175 and let the harmonic frequencies of your tires on the perpetually milled pavement lull you into a sense of tranquility! Keep up the fight! I've got your back unless it turns out to be a lot of work).

Jenny V said...

Hmmm... I think that's the paper I threw out this morning without looking at it....